1. crystal bar soap. featured in the november issue of flare magazine (selena gomez on the cover). crystal bar soaps are hand made vegan crystal soaps with unique healing crystals and gems embedded in every bar. sun/moon charged and scented with essential oils, they make perfect gifts and collectors items. get the clear quartz for balance and calm, rose quartz for romance and violet amethyst for healing and inspiration. pick your favourite stone on their website at www.crystalbarsoap.ca
2. new craft coalition fall show + sale. this bi-annual artisan show is running this weekend (october 16 & 17th) at the festival hall in inglewood. it brings a carefully curated collection of independently produced, canadian art, craft + design to the people of calgary. see artists like andrea blais, natalie gerber, laura sharp, eveline kolijn, samantha reed, rebecca king and more. for more info visit www.newcraftcoalition.com.
friday, october 16, 2015 4pm-9pm
saturday, october 17th, 2015 10am-6pm
festival hall, inglewood
1215 – 10th avenue se
3. gravity pope. gravitypope’s new, multi-level expanded calgary location opens this october at 1126 17 avenue sw. the iconic footwear boutique has expanded both its store size and its offerings to include women’s and men’s clothing, accessories, apothecary and more. under the same roof, calgarians will be excited to also find blackbyrd myoozik, the second location for the popular edmonton record store, as well as chocolatier sweet lollapalooza confections. expect brand like acne, alexander wang, isabel marant, jil stuart and more. the store itself is a beautiful space not to be missed, designed by harold hanen, the man responsible for calgary’s very own +15 system and an homage to brutalist style of frank lloyd wright is a series of staircases and glass, making it a real treat to go shoe shopping (as if it wasn’t already). make sure to check out the amazing limited edition footwear designed by various brands in collaboration with gravity pope for their 25th anniversary. the theme is black and white and brands like dr. martens, red wings, trippen, grenson and fillipa k created one of a kind designs to celebrate this milestone. see all brands carried at the shop on their website at www.gravitypope.com.
hours of operation: monday to friday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and sunday from noon to 6 p.m.
address: 1126 17th avenue sw, Calgary, AB phone: 403-209-0961
4. paul hardy’s kaleidoscopic animalia exhibit at the glenbow museum. kaleidoscopic animalia is an exhibition that taps into current interests in fashion, design and visual culture while exploring big ideas about human creativity, cultural values and the universal interest in animals as art, fashion and culture. with kalaidescopic animalia, hardy presents a unique curatorial perspective. animal-inspired artifacts and artworks from different cultures and eras will be juxtaposed based on common themes rather than being categorized by date or place of origin (an approach more typical of a museum). think beautifully curated store windows with artifacts from the glen bow collection in addition to some exclusive designs by paul created by paul for this exhibit. during the run of the show you can also look forward to fashion documentary screenings, the likes of iris, advanced style and dior and i. mark these dates on your calendars, this one is a MUST SEE! more info on the exhibit HERE.
october 17, 2015 – may 22, 2016
general admission $10/members fee $8
thursday, november 5th, 7pm, fashion films: iris (2015),
thursday, january 14th, 7pm, fashion films: dior and i (2014)
thursday, january 28th, 7pm fashion films: advanced style (2014)
5. piero guidi. a favourite among accessories lovers around the world but new to the calgary scene is piero guidi: the italian luxury brand officially launched in the city last week. the beautiful printed handbags are now available at retailer ginger laurier at britannia plaza, and also at a three-month pop-up shop at the devenish on 17th ave. (rox gems, 908 17 avenue sw, calgary, ab) you can now pick up your very own piece of this whimsical collection right here at home. visit pieroguidi.com.
watch the breakfast television segment below